Thursday, August 12, 2010

Empezamos!

Do I dare start off my first blog in the same fashion in which everyone else breaks the ice? –yes… “Well, here goes my first attempt at blogging. I know I said I would never do something like this, but it seems appropriate now, so we’ll see how it all works out…” This is mostly to update those family and friends that wanted updates, but I’ll try to toss in some bouncy syntax, spice up the diction here and there, and milk the suspense whenever possible. Ok, now that that is outta the way…


I’m in Roatan! Life as an island teacher is so-far-so-great and my fellow gringo teachers would more than agree. A buddy of mine, Jonathan, turned me on to the idea of teaching in Honduras and I decided to redirect that focus away from the mainland to a small school out here. It all just kind of HAPPENED. I definitely feel as though God has thrown this in my lap, as per His usual with anything momentous in my life. It all felt right; it felt needed. I accepted the offer and 1.5 months later, here I am.

I wasn’t quite sure what to expect (duh), but any guesses or expectations I conjured up have been greatly surmounted. I stayed awake packing until 5am the night before my 8am flight. All of you aware of my nocturnal tendencies are all saying “go figure” in your heads right about now. After the hour nap at home and two hours of accumulated nap time on the plane I was safely delivered to Roatan. The airport runway runs parallel to the coast line a short 40 yards off the strip. It was beauty from the get-go. Even in our descent we flew directly over an atoll that was incredible- I had never seen one before in person. After gathering my 150lbs of luggage I walked out of the terminal to a myriad of paper signs with people’s names for limo services and whatnot. I see this younger boy looking at me like he would look at a tricky math problem, and then all of the sudden, as if he had found the solution, he shoots up a sign- “Zach Stanke!” Once I pointed towards him, his whole family began to laugh. They were all taking bets as to which one getting off the plane was me. The kid, Diego (soon to be one of my students) said, “I thought it could be you at first, but I then I thought that you were wayyy to big to be a teacher.” Como se dice “lol” en espanol? Oh yeah, “jajajaja.”


View of mainland Honduras from the plane.
Landing in Roatan.

The gathered all my luggage and we went to eat. They were gracious to pick me up and pay for my first meal. My first choice wouldn’t have been Bojangles Chicken (the only chain restaurant aside from the brand new Wendy’s), but hey, I’ll take it. They mostly speak English, but the father/husband only speaks Spanish so I got to practice my Spanish right off the bat. He was impressed but I have a lotta work to do! I thought I would know the most Spanish of all the gringos, but one, Kelly, is much more comfortable than me with conversation. I’m glad that I can learn from her though.

After getting Bojangle’d, we went to my apartment where all the gringo teachers live. Goodness freaking gracious. I imagined something a little more…humble. But no, this brand new building has 3 stories of condos. I walk into my well-tiled, 2br, 1bth second story apt. and automatically feel at home. I walk out the back door and there is a sizeable back patio. BONUS! It has a view of the ocean? DOUBLE BONUS! There’s no AC, internet, hot water, or big&tall furniture, but we are crazy blessed to receive such comforts considering the average accommodations people undertake on Roatan.

Baller kitchen / dining room / living room / opening to back patio.

Can't you just feel the wind blowing through my room?
View of the ocean and the bay to the right from the back patio.

Our island bunk beds.  That's Kelly sportin the top bunk.  More on her and others later.

<>
Taken from same patio.  That explains the moo'ing when I awake in the morn.


After settling in a bit, we all went to grab some groceries and then took a 10 minute walk down to West End to walk along the beach and shops. West End is the main hop-off point for scuba excursions- I will revisit this topic many times later. The trek over there includes big crabs with bodies the size of baseballs and softballs crossing the street…almost crossing…pobrecitos. One of the fellow teachers (also a fellow ginger), Jessica, somehow had a big crab in her living room this morning. Don’t ask me how. I’ll try and retrieve that pic.
Where I plan to dock my boat (aka kayak).

View from a groovy restaurant on stilts in the middle of the bay.

This pretty much sums up my perceptions of Roatan to date.

Walking along West End.  This was taken from the street.  Come visit and we'll picnic here.

That first night I went to sleep at 11:30pm and woke up at 7:15am. Not my usual schedule. I got ready for the bus but it was an hour late. I started to evaluate this as a Latin American tardiness issue, but no, my clock was wrong- turns out I went to bed at 10:30pm and awoke at 6:15am. That was a pretty quick adjustment. That’s gonna be my new “usual” schedule while teaching. I have hopes to bring the schedule back to my life in the states so I can feel like a part of our society. Nocturnal-ness is a lonely place ;)


We got to see our school today. It is a humble school by our standards by far. A lot of open-air class rooms and only the pre-K kiddos have AC. A good bit of it is worn down. It’s an interesting dichotomy of low budget materials and buildings coupled with new technology and sports equipment that gets donated by friends of teachers and the like… I may address y’all later about this opportunity. We ha devotional time, which I am excited about having daily, began approaching life as a teacher at a Christian school. It was a surface level intro to precede tomorrow when we really hit it.

I hope that this first bloggy blog right here is my longest ever, FYI. Until next time….




3 comments:

  1. Way to bite my style. Teaching in another country and blogging about it.
    Love,
    Nick Klein

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is GREAT stuff and i really enjoyed reading it. The pics make a great visual aid and dovetail nicely with your words. I don't know you but I'm a HUGE fan of your mom & dads. You are a true servant and a real inspiration. I look forward to your next writing. L.Joe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great things Stanke. This will be a daily read for me - I will however miss having someone forcing me to go work out....

    ReplyDelete